News & Announcements

SNO FLEX Helps High School Publications Stay Ahead of Technology Curve

In a modern world, one size fits all doesn’t work anymore, at least when it comes to online publishing of high-school newspapers. Tablets, computer monitors, and smart phones all have dramatically different screen sizes and proportions, making a standard website difficult to read.

SNO FLEX, a new WordPress platform for online newspaper publishing developed by School Newspapers Online (SNO), has the solution. SNO FLEX was built on the principles of responsive design and automatically scales to look great on any screen size instantly. This new technology brings online publications powerful tools without a hefty price tag and gives high-school newspaper advisers an affordable option that remains ahead of the curve.

Finding the right balance between price and technology can be tricky for high school publications with limited budgets. Additionally, student editors are often students or overworked advisers, with little time to spend managing the technological aspects of the publication. SNO created its platform so that school newspaper advisers could focus on journalism without worrying about technology.

Staff members can jump right in and start taking advantage of the tools this platform offers without having to spend time learning difficult coding or working to resolve bugs. This allows students to get right to work, especially important for high-school publications where students are often only available for a year or two before graduation. A few simple clicks of the mouse can dramatically change the look of the site, without having to spend hours scanning through endless PHP files.

Elizabeth Wilson, former student editor of The A-Blast at Annandale High School in Maryland, said, “The platform is really beautifully designed. The interface is straightforward and clear which allows us to focus on the design and improvement of the site, rather than spending time trying to figure out how to implement our ideas. It allows the webmaster to be much more efficient in their job… SNO clearly understands the needs of high-school papers like ours, and through the SNO FLEX platform they have given us all the tools, support, and freedom to build and run whatever site we can imagine.”

Mitch Eden, Kirkwood High School media adviser, chose SNO FLEX for its mobile capabilities. He said, “The Kirkwood Call decided to switch to the SNO FLEX design because our audience is mobile. They are viewing our site on their phone or a tablet. We wanted the look to complement their platform.”

Adaptive technology and responsive design aren’t the only benefits of this technology-driven platform. Jason Wallestad, newspaper adviser of the Knight Errant at Benilde-St. Margaret’s School in St. Louis Park, Minnesota and co-creator of SNO, shared his insights regarding design options available within the platform. “Beyond being a responsive design, the SNO FLEX platform offers its users complete design flexibility. It has six design presets that users can easily switch between, and every color, style, and font on the site can be changed without users having to change any code,” he said, also mentioning that the Google font library has been incorporated into the platform giving users access to more than 500 fonts.

Additionally, the platform is built entirely using drag-and-drop widgets, making home page redesigns simple and allowing newspapers to custom tailor their unique look to the news that presents itself any given day. Gone are the days when a simple tweak to the site meant hours of searching through code. SNO FLEX gives high-school newspapers and other publications the freedom to create their own look and the technology to make that look shine on any device.

About School Newspapers Online (SNO)
Founded by a scholastic newspaper adviser, SNO has been providing schools and organizations with affordable, user-friendly online publishing solutions since 2008. Their platform is ideal for those looking to create or enhance their online presence. Each customized website is built on the WordPress publishing platform and features mobile responsive design and a variety of tools enabling layout and font changes, video embedding and more. SNO brings the functionality and design possibilities of major newspaper sites to universities and schools across the nation at an affordable price.

To learn more about SNO please visit: www.schoolnewspapersonline.com